Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Question for the MASTERS here.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question for the MASTERS here.

    This is a question regarding vintage amps I have not seen addressed anywhere else. I could be looking for the topic incorrectly but I trust you guys.

    If some of the gurus here (you know who you are) would share an opinion on this it would be greatly appreciated.

    Older amplifiers did not have a polarized power plug. With this in mind... It is possible to plug it in upside down so to speak and have the hot and neutral switched. Would or could this have any effect on the amplifier?

    If you can answer this please take a moment to explain why it would or wouldn't.


    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question for the MASTERS here.

    The overwehlming majority of amplifiers discussed here all use power transformers which negate having a polarized plug. In the unusual case where one might have a 3 wire ac cord, this is for extra security. Better minds can offer additional details.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question for the MASTERS here.

    Hmmmmmm.
    I dont know a lot about amplifier construction. I am just looking at this from an electrical point of view.

    Newer amps that have transformers have a polarized plug. It could be a UL requirement now? Most everything that runs on 120v I buy now has one.

    There are some really fanatic folks that would swear the "monster" speaker wires can make a difference. I personally never heard it. This might be a similar issue. It seems like someone who is that particular about their connections might have thought about this.

    Most people here would agree that switching the speaker cables will cause them to operate out of phase. With that in mind it seems to me that the chassis of the amp should always be connected to the neutral especially since a lot of them have a ground lug.


    If you had an older amp, would there be any benefit to installing a polarized plug?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Question for the MASTERS here.

    It's for safety...there are many articles out there...this explains the basics:
    WHY THREE PRONGS? Electrical ground, stray voltage

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question for the MASTERS here.

    (disclaimer: I claim Jack-of-all-Trades, MASTER of none status)

    Everything after '48 at least had the option of polarized plugs, since all receptacles (in the US) made after that had to be polarized (NEMA 1). If there was advantage to polarization, they took it.

    Things were a little different then too, we weren't so helpless as now... As kids, it was our job to unplug the TV and radio after use so lightning wouldn't get them. To reconnect, we had to look for the brass terminal and plug it into one (can't remember which) side of the outlet.

    I'll bet there are at least a few here that can remember porcelain surface devices and in-the-room wiring on insulators... :mooning:
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Question for the MASTERS here.

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    (disclaimer: I claim Jack-of-all-Trades, MASTER of none status)

    Everything after '48 at least had the option of polarized plugs, since all receptacles (in the US) made after that had to be polarized (NEMA 1). If there was advantage to polarization, they took it.

    Things were a little different then too, we weren't so helpless as now... As kids, it was our job to unplug the TV and radio after use so lightning wouldn't get them. To reconnect, we had to look for the brass terminal and plug it into one (can't remember which) side of the outlet.

    I'll bet there are at least a few here that can remember porcelain surface devices and in-the-room wiring on insulators... :mooning:
    ROTF
    Hey Fish, well I did get my E-1 Masters in Electrical during the time of the hot chassis.
    It was great back then because it kept DIYers hands out of our stuff.
    Things are a lot different now and todays answer to such questions would be Google it.




  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question for the MASTERS here.

    Going to the phasing question, Its an easy thing to check and noticable if the bass output seems weak or the imaging shifts as you move your head from side to side. Just replacing cables, without checking to see if the wires are done right will be 50-50 to be out of phase.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.